Love, Love, Love: It's Almost Friday! Edition
Thursday, November 19, 2009
1. Longtime readers know that it is basically a given that I will gush over the work of midcentury architectural photographer Julius Shulman (above, below) every few months. (A. May. Zing.) I was practically kicking myself for very nearly missing the local E Street Cinema run of the new documentary on Shulman's work, VIsual Acoustics. (I managed to snag tix to the very final screening tonight. Phew.) It's also playing in select theaters around the country, which hopefully will save a few of you some, er, panicked ticket-buying.
2. Carine & co. at Paris Vogue featured the awesome paint-splattered Groove Move Swatch watch ($55) in their latest issue, sending me into an immediate fervent search to track it down. Which I did. Whee.
3. One of the very best books that's come across my desk recently is Walker Lamond's Rules for my Unborn Son, based off his adorably inspiring blog of the same name. (I also did a q&a with him over here, if that is something that would interest you.) I love the book's thoroughly vintagey look, not to mention Walker's clever rules for a well-lived, well-mannered life. Such as: "Unless you served, no fatigues" and "Don't sabotage the family portrait. Smile please." Highly recommended for all your holiday gift-giving needs.
4. You could say I have a, um, serious fixation on faux fur jackets. (Every time I head to the thrift store lately, I seem to return with one. Or four.) They're just so perfectly retro-glam over little dresses or the fallback jean/tee combo. If you're not a thrifter, this Urban Outfitters option (above) pretty much does the vintagey trick.
5. Currently at the top of my Christmas list: jammie onesies! What are YOU asking Santa for?