Good Online Shopping (aka Things I've Bought Lately and Loved)
Thursday, October 27, 2011
As part of my AmEx-sponsored $250 shopping giveaway (Have you entered yet? The random drawing is this Tuesday!), AmEx offered me the chance to remedy my past-online-shopping wrongs and purchase five pieces that were actually good buys.
Seeing as how I'd just come off of an unfortunate Etsy purchase (a too large, and very unattractive vintage dress), I readily agreed. Here's what I bought — and what I found makes for a good online purchase.
1. Zara black satchel bag. I'd been craving one since gushing over satchels weeks and weeks ago. Rather than shell out for an uber-expensive, ultra-trendy option, I opted for this mid-range, classic version. It looks luxe, is well-made, and the price was much more reasonable than some of my $400+ lusted pieces. Sites like Shopstyle let me do some good comparison shopping before I landed on the best one.
2. Wolford Matte 80 Opaque tights. These really are amazing — and a classic winter staple. (Last year, I wore them almost every day.) It's worth paying more for high quality items that will last — and saved me a trek to a store.
3. Zara tuxedo blazer. I tried this on in the store and instantly loved it's classic retro-ness — but the store version was already smudged and dirty. (Which doesn't bode well for my klutzy ways. But.) By ordering online, I was able to get a fresh option that hadn't bore hundreds of dirty hands fingering it.
4. RVCA circle scarf. When shopping — whether online or off — you've got to know your own wardrobe and what you need. This cowl scarf instantly jazzes up basic sweaters, adding new life to old standards. Done and done.
5. Fossil heeled menswear booties. The pitfalls of shopping for shoes online require a generous return policy, just in case. It's also easy to get sucked in to cute trends (leopard booties! 5-inch platforms!). I'd been lusting after a menswear-ish heel and found this affordable option from an unexpected source (thanks again, Shopstyle!). I made sure to check the heel height and customer reviews so I knew exactly what I was getting. And voila! They're perfect.
There's still a few more days to share your worst online shopping moment and get entered to win the $250 AmEx giveaway!
And tell me: What (good, smart) purchase will you make if you win the giveaway?